Marrwood at Stone Ridge
Aldie is an unincorporated community village with a population of 11,506 situated on the John Mosby Highway (U.S. Route 50) between Gilbert’s Corner and Middleburg in Loudoun County, Virginia. It is located in a gap between the Catoctin Mountain and Bull Run Mountain, through which the Little River flows. Much of the housing stock in Aldie was built fairly recently. See Aldie VA 20105 Homes for Sale HERE
Just A Little History…
Aldie’s beginnings were laid in 1765 when James and George Mercer established a mill at the location of the present historic edifice. The location was a natural choice, as the gap contained the intersection of the Belhaven road between Winchester and Alexandria and the Mountain road which ran northwest to Snickers Gap. By 1809 the Little River Turnpike was completed from Alexandria to the Mercer Mill, replacing the older rutted section of Belhaven Road. With the opening of the road, James Mercer’s son, Charles Fenton Mercer, in a partnership with William Cooke, set out to develop a village on 30 acres (120,000 m2) at the turnpike’s western terminus.
It was Mercer who named the village Aldie after Aldie Castle, the ancestral home of the Mercer family in Scotland.
Mercer left day-to-day operations to Cooke, his business partner. He bought out Cooke’s interest in 1816 (for $11,250), then sold the mill in 1835 to a family that operated it for six generations until it closed in 1971.
Fifty years after Mercer and Cooke built their mill, the village itself and lands immediately to the west and northwest were the site of the Battle of Aldie during the Gettysburg Campaign. In addition, the Confederate partisan John Singleton Mosby was active in the village, and several small skirmishes between Union cavalry and his band of rangers took place in and around Aldie.
Today, the village of Aldie has an historical district with buildings dating from as early as 1775.
Top Rated Aldie Public Schools according to GreatSchools™
- · Pinebrook Elementary School
- · Aldie Elementary School
- · Buffalo Trail Elementary School
- · Arcola Elementary School
- · John Champe High School
Places to Visit in Aldie VA
- · Aldie Mill Historic District, which includes the Aldie Mill and other historical buildings
- · Loudoun Agricultural and Mechanical Institute
- · Mount Zion Baptist Church
Events to look forward in Aldie VA
- · Aldie Harvest Festival
- · Annual Civil War Christmas
- · Aldie Easter Carnival and Egg Hunt
- · Aldie Barbeque
- · Aldie Spaghetti Dinner
- · Sesquicentennial Commemoration of Mt Zion Battle
- · Loudoun Sketch Club Exhibit
- · The Haunted Turnpike
Interesting Facts about Aldie VA
· Overall, Aldie’s crime rate is one of the lowest in the nation, which makes a great place to live if safety is an important concern.
· The median home cost in Aldie is $363,200. Home appreciation the last year has been 0.77 percent.
· Compared to the rest of the country, Aldie’s cost of living is 49.40% Higher than the U.S. average.
· Aldie public schools spend $7,333 per student. The average school expenditure in the U.S. is $5,691. There are about 12.9 students per teacher in Aldie.
· The unemployment rate in Aldie is 3.90 percent(U.S. avg. is 8.60%). Recent job growth is Positive. Aldie jobs have Increased by 2.26 percent.
· Aldie is an extremely ethnically-diverse town. The people who call Aldie home describe themselves as belonging to a variety of racial and ethnic groups. The greatest number of Aldie residents report their race to be White, followed by Asian. Important ancestries of people in Aldie include German, Irish, English, Italian and French.
· The languages spoken by people in Aldie are also diverse. These are tabulated as the languages people preferentially speak when they are at home with their families. The most common language spoken in Aldie is English. Other important languages spoken here include Indic languages, Spanish, Korean and Other Asian languages.
See homes in Aldie VA. Get your FREE MARKET INSIDER REPORT on Aldie VA to get neighborhood information, school reports, local shopping, restaurants, healthcare facilities and more. You can compare Aldie VA neighborhoods to other neighborhoods in Loudoun County and surrounding areas by using the "Compare Areas" tab on your FREE HERE: Market Insider Report. Just type in whatever zip code you want to compare.
Gene Mock, Associate Broker, Premier Team, Keller Williams Realty is a proven expert real estate professional. He will guide you through the buying or selling process. Gene is a native Virginian who has dedicated himself to serving you, his client, with the utmost respect and awareness of your individual needs. His business acumen and deep knowledge of the real estate markets in Aldie, Loudoun County and Northern VA are at your disposal!